Pátio do Colégio – Sao Paulo Picture

Pátio do Colégio

O Pátio do Colégio é um sítio arqueológico, onde foi levantada a primeira construção da atual cidade de São Paulo, quando o padre Manuel da Nóbrega e o então noviço José de Anchieta, jesuítas a mando de Portugal, resolveram estabelecer um núcleo para fins de catequização de indígenas no Planalto.

O Pátio do Colégio é o marco inicial no nascimento da cidade de São Paulo. O local, no alto de uma colina entre os rios Tamanduateí e Anhangabaú, foi o escolhido para iniciar a catequização dos indígenas.

Em 25 de janeiro de 1554 foi realizada em suas dependências – uma cabana coberta de folhas de palmeira ou de sapê de cerca de 90 m², ou, como descrita por Anchieta, de 10 por 14 passos craveiros (passo craveiro era uma medida linear portuguesa) – a missa que oficializou o nascimento do colégio jesuíta. Em 1556 o padre Afonso Brás, precursor da arquitetura brasileira, foi o responsável pela ampliação da construção original, que recebeu oito cubículos para servir de residência aos jesuítas. Brigas entre os colonos e religiosos culminaram na expulsão dos jesuítas do local em 1640, para onde só retornariam treze anos mais tarde. Na segunda metade do século XVII é erigida a terceira edificação, de taipa de pilão.
O Pátio do Colégio foi sede do governo paulista entre os anos de 1765 e 1908, após a apropriação do local pelo Estado, servindo como Palácio dos Governadores, devido à expulsão dos jesuítas de terras portuguesas, determinada pelo Marquês de Pombal em 1759. O antigo casarão colonial foi completamente descaracterizado por profundas reformas durante todo esse período, sobretudo no último quartel do século XIX.
Atualmente em seu interior há fragmentos de uma parede do antigo colégio dos jesuítas. A edificação atual procura simular a original seiscentista, visto que em 1896 a igreja foi demolida e o Palácio dos Governadores foi derrubado por volta de 1954, sendo inaugurado o conjunto no formato atual em 1979. Abriga o Museu Anchieta.
O Pátio do Colégio é administrado pela Companhia de Jesus. Seu complexo abriga diversas atividades culturais e religiosas. Abriga um museu, a Igreja, uma biblioteca temática e projetos sociais.

————————

Pátio do Colégio (School Yard in Portuguese), also written with the archaic spelling Pateo do Collegio, is the name given to the historical Jesuit church and school in the city of São Paulo, Brazil. The name is also used to refer to the square in front of the church. The Pátio do Colégio marks the site were the city was founded in 1554[1].
The city of São Paulo has its beginnings in a mission established by Jesuits Manuel da Nóbrega, José de Anchieta and others in the Brazilian hinterland. The village – then called São Paulo dos Campos de Piratininga – was founded on a plateau between two rivers, the Tamanduateí and the Anhangabaú, and was linked to the coastal village of São Vicente by a precarious path in the rainforest.
The date that marks the beginning of São Paulo is January 25, 1554, when the priests celebrated the inaugural mass of the Jesuit school. Initially, the church building was a modest hut covered with palm leaves or straw. In 1556, under father Afonso Brás, new buildings of the school and church were finished using taipa de pilão (rammed earth), a more solid technique. These buildings would be the centre of spiritual and educational life in the settlement in the next couple of centuries.
Since its beginnings, the Jesuit action in evangelising the Amerinds clashed with the interests of many settlers, who used indigenous slave labour and profited from the indigenous slave trade. In the early São Paulo, the expeditions of the bandeirantes to the hinterland in order to capture Amerinds were an important economic activity, and the conflicts with the Jesuits led to the expulsion of the Order from the village in 1640. Only in 1653, bandeirante Fernão Dias Paes Leme allowed the return of the Jesuit priests. The church and school were extensively rebuilt around 1653.
In 1759, with the Suppression of the Society of Jesus in Portugal and its colonies ordered by the Marquis of Pombal, the fathers had to leave again. The Jesuit buildings now housed the colonial governors of São Paulo, and they continued to serve administrative functions after the Independence of Brazil and well into the 20th century. The colonial structures were completely rebuilt in different styles, and in 1896 the church collapsed. The tower survived but was greatly modified.
In 1953, during the celebrations of the city’s 400th anniversary, the area was given back to the Jesuit order. Thanks to their relative simple architecture and the abundance of 19th century iconography, the church was rebuilt and the tower and the school façade were given back their colonial look. The church and tower, in particular, have the sober Mannerist style they had in the 17th century, typical of Jesuit churches of colonial Brazil.
In 1979, a museum dedicated to Father José de Anchieta was inaugurated in the Pátio do Colégio. It contains more the 600 items including colonial paintings, altarpieces and sculptures, documents and iconography pertaining Jesuit action in Brazil. 17th century portraits of José de Anchieta and writer and priest António Vieira, another important Jesuit figure, are highlights of the collection. Particularly informative is also a scale model of the Pátio do Colégio area at the time of the founding of São Paulo and the panels that show the development of this area of the city through the centuries.

Image published by Rodrigo_Soldon on 2011-09-27 01:47:28 and used under Creative Commons license.

Tagged: , Campanha , de , Gratidão , aos , Fundadores , São , Paulo , espaço , jesuítico , no , Pateo , do , Collegio , companinha , Jesus , jesuítas , sítio , histórico , o , Museu , e , Capela , Padre , Anchieta , Igreja , Colégio , dos , Praça , Pátio , centro , da , cidade , Brasil , Brazil , Largo , Manuel , Paiva , José , Piratininga , Cacique , Tibiriçá , Sociedade , Brasileira , Educação , Companhia , monumento , papa , “pateo , colégio” , collegio” , SP , Glória , Imortal , obelisco , School , Yard , Biblioteca , Antônio , Vieira , Museum , 교회 , Church , 教会 , Iglesia , Церковь , Chiesa , Εκκλησία , Kirche , Église , 教會 , Kerk , كنيسة , Explore , geotagged

Some local news is curated - Original might have been posted at a different date/ time! Click the source link for details.

Leave a Reply